Enjoying the Motherhood Journey - Care to join me on the ride?

Enjoying the Motherhood Journey - Care to join me on the ride?

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Uh-No! Back Up Child Care

“I will not play tug o' war. I'd rather play hug o' war. Where everyone hugs instead of tugs, Where everyone giggles and rolls on the rug, Where everyone kisses, and everyone grins, and everyone cuddles, and everyone wins.” - Shel Silverstein

There is a high demand for good quality, affordable child care in Scarborough. Simply put, there's not enough supply to support the demand. Since I'm back in the work force, I need consistent and reliable child care service. Yes, having it be affordable is a huge factor, but to me what I value the most is consistency. I know we can't avoid illness, personal appointments, other reasons to be absent from work but if your primary child care service provider calls in sick last minute, what do YOU do? Ask family members? Friends? Work from home?

Sometimes parents don't have a backup support of family or friends. How do they overcome this issue? In regards to my situation, I am lucky enough to have in-laws who can assist if I'm ever stuck without a babysitter.

Also, here's one of my backup solution: I've asked whenever possible with my babysitter to please let me know 24 hours in advance IF they feel like they're unable to watch Raychel the next day (a cold/sickness is starting). This isn't always possible but if a friendly "headup" is given to me, I have the chance to start coordinating alternative child care arrangements before it's too late.

Setting up alternative child care is very important to us at this current moment because of my new job. I have a 3 month probation period and I want to make a good impression. My child care needs to be solid because I can't afford to take time off or work from home. Ray will need to be a stronger support unit too during this probation period since he would technically have more flexibility to work from home if necessary.

I will however take additional precautions by investigating last minute babysitting services that are frequently advertising in Today's Parent. Here are a list of Babysitting Vendors in the Toronto area I plan to research:

Nannies On Call
www.nanniesoncall.com

Canadian Sitters
http://www.canadiansitter.ca/

Custom Comfort Care Inc.
www.customcomfortcare.ca

I'll keep you posted on my discoveries and experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment