Enjoying the Motherhood Journey - Care to join me on the ride?

Enjoying the Motherhood Journey - Care to join me on the ride?

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Being a parent: what's your definition?

Who is considered an unfit parent? And who makes these decisions?

I subscribe to different parenting magazines such as Today's Parent and Parents Canada. I have a Communications background so I enjoy reading newspaper articles, online articles and of course, magazine articles. Once I found out I was pregnant, I immediately jumped on the opportunity to research all the Canadian parenting magazines that were available and became an instant fan. I always seem to find great tips and advice in all areas - cooking, toys, breastfeeding, traveling, potty-training, etc. I will even share the recipes they offer with my close new mother friends. And sometimes, I even learn and expand my knowledge and perspective on adulthood. I hate to admit that I'm ignorant to a lot of things but this topic stuck an unknown cord in my brain.

So when I read last week the article called "The kids are all right" by John Hoffman in Today's Parent July 2010 issue, I had never thought about same-sex marriages and their struggles of becoming a parent. It made reference to court cases in certain parts of the US stating that gay and lesbian couples are not fit to be parents.

2 points Hoffman made were quite valid:
  1. Today lots of people, primarily heterosexuals, have children outside of marriage.
  2. Homosexual parents have been raising children for years in heterosexual marriages.

I recognize that my acquaintances who are anti same-sex marriages may disagree with this idea due to homophobia, religion and prejudice attitudes. They may not want to read this article. It's quite a short, easy read and I recommend it to anyone like me who never put much thought into this topic before.

Let me know your thoughts and if you prefer, share them privately if you don't feel comfortable discussing your argument openly.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment